We seek professional guidance for our education, careers, jobs, hobbies, interests, health, justice and appearance – for whenever we have a goal in mind. We want a sure fire thing. We want the best route and an easy one is bonus. We go to accredited people or organizations to earn degrees, certifications, credits, plans of action or titles of specialty. These credentials may help in getting started or a boost, but it is the actual practice over time where you discover and display the knowhow, expertise and reap the benefits. Right?
When we get tired or don’t see the results we expected by a certain time we take a break or change course or find new guidance or just say ‘done’. Sometimes we are reminded of what was unfinished when opportunities pass because of the ‘missing paper’ or time reveals the lack of discipline in our health and lifestyle. And other times, we are thankful and relieved for the course change. Can’t remember why we started in the first place?
These professional and personal goals and accomplishments show moments in our lives. I am all about goals and checklists. But if I am not careful there is almost a sense of desperation if it isn’t working out as I expected. Attitudes and interactions get all skewed. There are long stints of frustration and fix it attempts. I start to major in the minors (like events, circumstance, feelings and setbacks) and treating the majors (like faith, God’s will and relationships) like minors. SIDE NOTE: Reiterated in this week’s New Living Bible Study class a person can become prideful with a long string of success and accomplishments which can potentially lead you to take on what you shouldn’t and do/speak outside of God’s will. See II Chronicles 26, Proverbs 18:12, 13, Proverbs 16:18, Proverbs 16:9, Deuteronomy 32:13-15. Pastor says to be constantly mindful of who and whose you are and recognize God in all of it.
What WILL show achievements and accomplishments in maturity? Freedom? Growth? Character? This is where lives, homes, families, communities, generations are actually impacted. Credentialed or not, idols and false foundations will have me compromising and inconsistent.
There is no paper to certify or prove that personal achievement. Age does not guarantee it. Just having the knowledge is just that – knowing better. But that is the first step – to know. It has to be truth. Perhaps this is confused with legal or acceptable or even desirable. Just because it is legal, tolerated or just simply my will, it does not equate with truth or freedom.
Who/what is the sure fire guide with unfaltering credentials to guide me… guide us through each day of our lives? Not look the part or speak the part when certain folk are around or when I think it counts or not a circumstantial thing but is ingrained.
It is revealed you must have the teaching of the Holy Spirit.
Nothing says the means by which the Spirit teaches us. It may be in meditation, teachers in the church, books, etc. but it is the Spirit of God that does the teaching no matter how. You can’t know truth outside the Spirit of God.
• 12 “I have much more to say to you, but you can’t handle it now. 13 However, when the Spirit of Truth comes, he will guide you in all truth. He won’t speak on his own, but will say whatever he hears and will proclaim to you what is to come. 14 He will glorify me, because he will take what is mine and proclaim it to you. 15 Everything that the Father has is mine. That’s why I said that the Spirit takes what is mine and will proclaim it to you.
1 Corinthians 2:12-12
• 10 God has revealed these things to us through the Spirit. The Spirit searches everything, including the depths of God. 11 Who knows a person’s depths except their own spirit that lives in them? In the same way, no one has known the depths of God except God’s Spirit. 12 We haven’t received the world’s spirit but God’s Spirit so that we can know the things given to us by God.
The concept of spirituality is seldom defined. What are the attributes or requirements? Faith is what you know and believe about God, His Word and you. Believe includes the component DO.
There are many born again people who are in bondage and don’t know or have knowledge of the Spirit. Being born again doesn’t free you from bondage.
• At one time you were like a dead person because of the things you did wrong and your offenses against God. 2 You used to act like most people in our world do. You followed the rule of a destructive spiritual power. This is the spirit of disobedience to God’s will that is now at work in persons whose lives are characterized by disobedience. 3 At one time you were like those persons. All of you used to do whatever felt good and whatever you thought you wanted so that you were children headed for punishment just like everyone else.
• 4-5 However, God is rich in mercy. He brought us to life with Christ while we were dead as a result of those things that we did wrong. He did this because of the great love that he has for us. You are saved by God’s grace! 6 And God raised us up and seated us in the heavens with Christ Jesus. 7 God did this to show future generations the greatness of his grace by the goodness that God has shown us in Christ Jesus.
• 8 You are saved by God’s grace because of your faith.[a] This salvation is God’s gift. It’s not something you possessed. 9 It’s not something you did that you can be proud of. 10 Instead, we are God’s accomplishment, created in Christ Jesus to do good things. God planned for these good things to be the way that we live our lives.
I Corinthians 2:15 – Spiritual people comprehend everything, but they themselves aren’t understood by anyone.
When do you get the mind of Christ – spirituality?
• Romans 12:2 – Don’t be conformed to the patterns of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your minds so that you can figure out what God’s will is—what is good and pleasing and mature.
• Although the heart is fixed once you confess Christ, your mind isn’t fixed
o Psalm 1:1-6 – The truly happy person doesn’t follow wicked advice, doesn’t stand on the road of sinners, and doesn’t sit with the disrespectful.2 Instead of doing those things,
these persons love the LORD’s Instruction, and they recite God’s Instruction day and night!3 They are like a tree replanted by streams of water, which bears fruit at just the right time and whose leaves don’t fade. Whatever they do succeeds.4 That’s not true for the wicked! They are like dust that the wind blows away.5 And that’s why the wicked will have no standing in the court of justice—neither will sinners in the assembly of the righteous.6 The LORD is intimately acquainted with the way of the righteous, but the way of the wicked is destroyed.
• The mind of Christ can only be procured if the Word of God is read, studied, heard.
Genuine spirituality involves
1. Regeneration (new life in Christ) – transformation is through God – John 3
2. The Holy Spirit is involved in producing spirituality by putting God first – Matthew 6:33